Whether you own a smartphone or tablet, you likely know how cumbersome it can be to deal with conserving battery power. Nowadays, it seems that everything uses a rechargeable battery, but what happens when it runs out and you’re stuck without any power? Your fancy device just turned into an expensive paperweight. That’s right. In some situations, without battery power, your gadget becomes completely useless.
As we become more connected to our technology, more individuals are realizing that even with a full charge in the morning, by the time the evening comes around, they’re often struggling for battery life. Now of course you can simply charge via USB when it’s low, but what if you’re not able to access a computer or USB port?
An investment in a high quality external battery pack charger or power bank is the solution that many are looking for. They offer a whole lot of portability while bringing the usefulness of portable charging to reality. Often small and easy to carry, a power bank can provide your devices with the extra boost of energy to last several days away from an outlet or USB port.
After a lot of inquiries from our readers, we recently took it upon ourselves to figure out what the best external battery pack is for the new year of 2016. Below you’ll find a quick rundown of each one that we’d recommend if you’re in the market for a high quality, portable power upgrade.
Anker PowerCore 20100 Ultra High Capacity Power Bank
- With over 10 million sold (and counting), the Anker PowerCore 20100 Ultra High Capacity Power Bank provides an incredible capacity as it’s the most compact 20,000 mAh portable charger on the market.
- Since it’s 30% smaller and 27% lighter than the previous version, it’s more compact than ever. With the ultra high capacity to provide an iPhone 6 with 7.2 charges, a Samsung Galaxy S6 with 5.1 charges, and an iPad mini 3 with 2 full charges, it’s more than sufficient for most people.
- Paired with Anker’s exclusive technology known as Power IQ and Voltage Boost, you can achieve incredibly fast charge times at up to 2.4 amps per port or a total of 4.8 amps overall. When the PowerCore is drained, recharging takes around 10 hours with the included 2 amp charging cable.
- Designed with a super-durable structure that’s been impact and vibration tested to stand up to some abuse. The interior is enclosed in a rugged double layer shell that’s built of a strong fire-resistant polycarbonate. It’s even been tested in extreme weather from negative 40 to 158 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Backed by an impressive 18 month warranty period and comes included with a travel pouch, micro USB cable, and welcome guide.
- Available in either black or white.
RAVPower Deluxe 16750 mAh Power Bank
- The RAVPower Deluxe 16750 mAh Power Bank provides some of the highest output on the market (up to 4.5 amps) for the ability to simultaneously charge as many as two tablets or two smartphones at the same time.
- Comes included with a 2A charger that provides a full capacity refill in a 10 hour period. This means that you can fully charge up this power bank overnight and have it readily available the next day.
- Utilizes iSmart technology to automatically detect the most appropriate current for the quickest and most efficient charging process possible.
- With a massive 16750 mAh battery capacity, you can charge an iPhone 6 nearly six times or a Samsung Galaxy S6 nearly 4 times. However, do keep in mind that the larger the device, the more power it will require. For example, an iPad air can be charged one time.
- Internally, there’s a super efficient and very reliable Lithium-ion battery that can handle over 500 charge cycles before needing to be replaced.
- Built with short circuit protection and over-current protection to keep your devices safe from overloading.
- Compatible even with chargers that require over 2 amps, although most only use 1 amp.
- Four different LEDs give you an insight on the remaining battery capacity that’s left in the charger.
- Sleek design available in either black or white. The exterior has a ebony varnish that stands out in style.
- As an added bonus, there’s an integrated flashlight that comes in handy in low-light scenarios.
Anker Astro E1 5200mAh Ultra Compact Portable Charger
- The Anker Astro E1 5200mAh Ultra Compact Portable Charger is another fantastic choice. Although it doesn’t have quite as much capacity as the RAVPower Deluxe, it’s smaller in size and still packs quite a powerful punch.
- Around the size of your standard candy bar, it’s insanely compact and easy to carry with you, wherever you find yourself. Measuring just 3.8″ x 1.7″ x 0.9″, and weighing in at just 4.2 ounces, it fits perfectly in an extra pocket without taking up much space.
- Uses Anker’s very own “PowerIQ Technology” that will automatically detect your device and deliver the quickest charging speed up to 2 amps. This is four times faster than your standard USB port that you’d find on a desktop computer.
- Provides a powerful recharge to successfully charge an iPhone 6 two times, and a Samsung smartphone one time. An iPad mini can receive an 80% charge.
- Available in either black, white, or red.
- Comes included with a micro USB charging cable, a welcome guide to get you started, and a very generous 18 month warranty period backed by fantastic customer support. It’s great to know that they have your back in the event of a failure within this time frame.
NewNow Portable 20000mAh Power Bank
- For compact size, capacity, and affordability, nothing comes close to the NewNow Portable Power Bank in terms of value. Equipped with a 20000 mAh capacity, it gives you enough power to charge up an iPhone 6 as much as 8 times, a Samsung Galaxy up to 5.5 times, and a iPad Air almost 2 times.
- With three built-in USB ports with 5 volts of output, you can charge multiple devices at the same time without overloading the power source.
- Integrated display screen gives you a clear understanding of how much capacity is remaining. Don’t worry though, this screen isn’t always on. It will stay hidden until you activate it. Otherwise, it could potentially drain the power without any need.
- With a multiple smart protection system in place, you never need to worry about overcharging your device. It protects from over-discharging, over-voltage, over-current, and short circuits.
- Super portable, compact design weighs just 16 ounces and measures 6.3″ x 3.1″ x 0.9″.
- Comes included with a micro USB cable and an impressive 12 month warranty period with readily available customer support.
ZILU 16800mAh Portable Charger External Battery Pack
- Utilizing the highest quality Samsung battery cells inside, the ZILU 16800mAh Portable Charger External Battery Pack provides users with ultra-portable power with an added boost of reliability.
- Internally, are Samsung Top Grade A 18650 battery cells that are put through rigorous safety certifications to assure long lasting functionality without any hiccups.
- Offers an impressive lifespan to sufficiently last through 1000 charging and discharging cycles, doubling the market standard of 500.
- Utilizes some of the latest high efficiency advanced battery management technology to assure top of the line performance. ZILU used Texas Instrument’s IC module to bring out an added layer of efficiency to give this power bank a 3A output and a 2A input. In fact, you can easily achieve up to a 50% quicker charge than most other external battery packs.
- Has the capacity to give an iPhone 5 as many as 9 full charges, an iPad 2 full charges, and a Samsung Galaxy 5 full charges.
- Available in an assortment of color options for all ages and genders. Select from black, blue, pink, or white.
- Protected by a 24 month warranty period to give an added dose of value and assured longevity for years to come.
Innogie 6600mah Air Series External Battery Pack
- The Innogie 6600mah Air Series External Battery Pack is another fine choice that’s built for efficiency and slim in design for the most portability possible.
- With a capacity of 6600 mAh, it won’t deliver the most charges, but it will give most individuals enough added power to charge up their devices a few consecutive times. An iPhone 6 and Samsung Galaxy can obtain two full charges, and most other devices can be fully charged three times.
- With a lithium polymer battery, it provides a super stable and safe charge utilizing Texas Instrument’s Battery Management IC. With top of the line microchips that boost safety, it offers up to nine levels of added protection.
- With a 93% energy conversion rate, and dual USB ports at 1.5A and 2A, you can charge two tablets or two smartphones at the same time with the most efficiency possible.
- Comes included with a micro USB cable and intuitive user manual for a quick and easy startup.
- Available in either black or pink color options.
1byone 9000mAh 12V Multi-Function Power Bank
- Not just your average portable charger, the 1byone 9000mAh 12V Power Bank carries multiple functions for a variety of scenarios. Since it doubles as a jump starter, it has enough amperage and power to start your vehicle. In fact, many people use it for that sole purpose.
- Measuring 5.3 inches tall, 2.75 inches wide, and 0.9 inches thick, it boasts a portable size that’s both compact and lightweight.
- Comes included with positive and negative battery clamps for jump starting. It’s equipped with error-proof technology that assures that there aren’t any sparks. Plus, it has reverse polarity protection for assuring safety when you need it most.
- Located on the back side is an LED flashlight that can be pressed on at anytime. It’s incridebly bright and quite useful for finding your way in total darkness.
- Anything that uses a USB charger can be recharged. Smartphones, tablets, headphones, music players, and all sorts of other devices.
The simple fact of the matter is, you’re more than likely going to use up all of the battery on your smartphone, tablet, camera, or other rechargeable device. When that time comes, wouldn’t you rather be ready to give it a charge with an external battery/power bank than have to scrounge around for an available outlet?
Perfect for those who are on the go and always connected to their digital life, we’ve selected seven fantastic choices for top rated external battery packs/power banks for the new year of 2016. Whether you’re flying on an airplane or commuting to work on the bus, the ownership of one of these high quality devices can give you the added boost of power when you need it most.