When you’re building your own PC there are plenty of components to take into consideration. It’s hard to say that one is more important than the other, since they all work together to give you a fast gaming experience. But there are areas where you can save money, and other areas where you truly don’t want to skimp. For instance, the power supply.
Investing in a high quality, reliable, and high-performance power supply is a smart choice. A lot of expensive parts are assembled together in your PC, and if there isn’t a safe and efficient way to power them all, you put could put your whole system at risk. Additionally, if you opt to choose an efficient power supply, you could end up saving money on utilities in the long run. However, this is also dependent on the requirements of your system.
The outlets in your home provide AC power, but the components within your PC require DC power. The power supply converts the power into a stable and usable form so your system is always running smoothly. If you’re running multiple high end graphics cards, several hard drives, and/or a lot of components, you’ll probably want to invest in a power supply that’s high in wattage and in the upper range of the 80 Plus Program. But if your system is on a budget and you don’t need the best of the best, you can often find one at a decent price that’s of lower wattage.
What’s the 80 Plus Certification?
When shopping for a power supply, you’ll notice a bit of talk about the 80 Plus Certification. All of the power supplies that we’re going to recommend have this certification, so it’s a good thing to have a general understanding of it.
Simply stated, if the power supply is 80 Plus Certified, it has 80% or greater energy efficient at 10, 20, 50 and 100% of it’s rated load. There are different levels of certification that are beyond the standard “plus” rating. These are Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Titanium. See the graphic above to get a clearer vision as to what these mean.
Cooler Master V Series
- As a top of the line choice for any 6th Generation Skylake build, the Cooler Master V Series offers a wide range of options and features. Priced differently depending on the power level, it’s available in 550W, 650W, 750W, 850W, 1000W, or 1200W versions in either fully modular or semi-modular styles.
- 80 Plus Gold Certified to achieve up to 92% efficiency for improved operational costs and the best long-term value possible.
- Designed with a 3D circuit that’s ideal for the best cooling possible. This unique design is unlike any other brand since it lowers crosstalk, signal noise, and improves the airflow.
- The capacitors are 100% Japanese made for superior quality and long lasting durability. They resist to any power fluctuations and are made to hold up well over the years.
- Measuring just 5.5 inches or 140 millimeters in length, this PSU is incredibly compact and in the standard ATX form factor, but ideal for mini-ITX builds as well.
- Enclosed in a honeycomb pattern vent to give it improved airflow and dynamic ventilation at a constant rate.
- Equipped with a custom DC-DC mode that enables increased voltage stability and an added boost of efficiency.
- Single +12V rail gives your system the best load balancing possible, all while offering a wide range of compatibility for video cards.
Corsair CX Series
- Available in either 500, 600, 750, or 800 watts, the Corsair CX Series Power Supply is 80 PLUS Bronze certified for maximum efficiency.
- Easy to use, modular cabling system gives you the flexibility and reach you need to connect all of the components that need to be powered. This lets you use only the cables that you need, so there isn’t any excess clutter inside your case. This gives a cleaner look, but also promotes better airflow.
- Built and rigorously tested to strict standards so it’s always reliable and compatible with any devices that you desire to have connected to your build.
- It’s very quiet. A large ball-bearing fan keeps the internal parts nice and cool, and produces very little noise as a result.
- Looks great. Covered in a black matte finish, it looks nice with the uniformly black cables and connectors. The sleek black look and the corsair logo give it a nice flare that you won’t be afraid to show off.
- Easy to use and install. It’s designed in such a way that you’re able to install it once, and virtually never think about it again. Adding and detaching additional cables is easy and quick to do.
- Built with a dedicated single +12V rail so every component that you’d like to add is fully compatible without any work-arounds.
- Protected by an impressive 3 year warranty from Corsair. They also offer fantastic technical support should you have any questions or run into any problems with your power supply.
Sentey MBP HM Series Power Supply
- The Sentey MBP HM Series Power Supply is available in either 750, 850, or 1000 watt models and offers an excellent choice for those looking to power their high end gaming PCs.
- Thoroughly cooled by a 140 millimeter ball bearing fan with ultra quiet operation at 34dBA. The fan has a smart control that adjust the speed a bit higher in response to increasing temperatures.
- Offers universal AC input with active PFC to connect anywhere with clean and reliable power.
- Equipped with a modular connectors system so you only need to connect the cables that you need. It comes with a lot of connection cables and the great thing about them is that they’re flat. The flat design looks cleaner and sleeker, but more importantly, they provide better airflow since they take up less space than the typical rounded cables.
- Made with high quality Japanese main capacitors and built with solid state capacitors for added longevity and use for years to come.
- Covered by a fantastic 5 year warranty that guarantees the power supply against any manufacturer defects or product failures that aren’t your fault.
- The 1000 watt version comes included with the following flat cables: one MB 20+4pin, one CPU + 4×4 pin, eight SATA, four MOLEX, one CPU+12V 8 pin, six PCI-E 6+2 pin, and one floppy cable.
FirePower Silencer MK III
- The FirePower Silencer MK III Power Supply is available in either 750W, 850W, or 1200W versions with a semi-modular design.
- Metal aviation connectors offer a streamlined operating environment with near-slient operation to provide plenty of connections for all of your components.
- Modular cable design gives you the added flexibility to remove and install whichever cables you need to have in use. This keeps your case clutter-free from excess wires that go to nothing.
- Equipped with a “Dual Thermal Control System” that allows the PSU to toggle from normal and silent mode with ease. This way, it won’t overwork itself and provide an overabundance of power when you don’t necessarily need it.
- Protected by an impressive 7 year warranty period for an exceptional amount of peace of mind. Firepower Technology is a company that stands true to their product, and it’s apparent with this generous guarantee.
- Sleek and sexy design with a white exterior and black highlights throughout.
- Proudly made in the USA.