LED bias lighting, a simple yet transformative addition to any entertainment setup, enhances your viewing experience dramatically.
What if you could reduce eye strain and improve contrast perception with just a strip of lights? LED bias lighting does precisely that.
Positioned behind your TV or computer monitor, these LED lights cast a soft, ambient glow that reduces the contrast between the screen and the surrounding area, easing the strain on your eyes and improving the perceived image quality.
Here are our top three picks:
|Up to 85” TVs
|Up to 75” TVs
|Up to 80″ TVs
|Full strip color customization
|Sectional color customization
|15 ambient color options
|Mobile app and voice control
|Smartphone app, no voice
|IR Remote operated
|Smart Home Compatibility
|Alexa and Google compatible
|1080p camera, adaptive colors
|Music sync, water resistant
|Remote control, preset scenes
|Ease of Installation
Top Reasons to Use Bias Lighting
- Reduces Eye Strain: Bias lighting minimizes the contrast between the bright screen and the dark room, easing the strain on your eyes. This is especially beneficial during long viewing sessions, helping to prevent headaches and eye fatigue.
- Enhances Perceived Image Quality: By providing a neutral background, it can make the colors on your screen appear more vibrant and the contrast more pronounced, leading to a more immersive viewing experience.
- Creates Ambiance: Bias lighting adds a stylish, ambient glow to your entertainment area, enhancing the overall aesthetics of the space. It sets a mood that can be tailored to your preferences, whether you’re watching movies, gaming, or working.
- Energy Efficient: LED bias lights are known for their low power consumption. They provide a significant visual impact without a substantial increase in your electricity bill, making them an eco-friendly and cost-effective addition to your setup.
1. Govee Envisual TV LED Backlights
- Best overall pick.
- Adaptive color matching for immersive viewing.
- Includes 1080p camera for automatic adjustments.
- Compatible with TVs 55-85 inches.
- App and voice control for easy use.
- High-quality light output and color versatility.
“Immersive Viewing at Its Best!” That’s how we’d describe our experience with the Govee Envisual TV LED Backlights. These lights aren’t just cool gadgets; they’re a leap forward in enhancing your TV experience.
What sets the Govee Envisual apart is its adaptive color match feature. It adjusts the light color to what’s on your TV screen. This means, if you’re watching a movie with a lot of blues and greens, the lights change to match, creating an immersive, cinematic feel. We tested this while watching different genres, and it’s impressive how it seamlessly blends with the on-screen action.
The 1080p camera is a game-changer. Aim it at the screen, and the lights adapt their colors and brightness automatically. Initially, we thought the camera might be distracting, but you quickly forget it’s there. And it’s a huge time-saver, as you don’t have to fiddle with settings manually.
We found the app-connected features incredibly useful. Like the Govee RGBIC, it has multiple modes, but adds more, like video, DIY, and timer mode. Customizing different sections of the light strip with various colors is easy and fun – a feature not commonly seen in competitors.
For installation, you get both adhesive and clips. We liked the flexibility this offers. The clips are particularly handy if you’re not keen on sticking things to your TV.
The smart home integration is another plus. Setting it up with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for Alexa and Google Assistant is straightforward. Just a heads-up: the lights might show up under a different name during setup, but this doesn’t affect the process.
All in all, the Govee Envisual TV LED Backlights are top-tier in terms of features and performance. The adaptive color technology, high-quality light output, and smart home compatibility make it a standout. The price is higher than other options, but for the tech-savvy and those seeking a truly dynamic viewing experience, it’s worth considering.
2. Govee RGBIC TV LED Strip Lights
- Best runner-up pick.
- USB powered for easy, clutter-free setup.
- Music sync feature enhances viewing and gaming experience.
- Water-resistant, ensuring durability and safety.
- Customizable colors with intuitive smartphone app.
- Suitable for 55” to 75” televisions.
We really loved testing the Govee RGBIC TV LED Strip Lights. These aren’t just any ordinary lights; they’re a game-changer for your TV viewing experience. These are a step down from the Govee Envisual, but they’re also quite feature-rich.
First off, the Govee lights are USB powered and VERY simple, making setup a breeze. That said, you don’t need a separate power source. Just plug it into your TV’s USB port, and voila, it lights up. It’s perfect for a cozy movie night or a gaming marathon, where you don’t want a bunch of cables cluttering your space.
Imagine this: You’re watching a concert on your TV, and the lights behind it dance along with the music. That’s the magic of the music sync feature. We tested it during a live concert stream, and it felt like the lights brought the show right into our living room. This feature sets the Govee apart from others we’ve tried, where the lights are static and don’t interact with what’s happening on screen.
The Govee is also water-resistant, a feature we found reassuring. Accidental splashes from a drink or a window left open during a rainstorm? No problem. This durability is a step up from other lights we’ve tested, which can be more sensitive to moisture.
Now, let’s talk about control. The smartphone app is a winner. It’s user-friendly and lets you pick colors, adjust brightness, and even create lighting scenes. This is especially handy when you want to set a specific mood for your room. We’ve seen other lights with apps, but Govee’s is more intuitive and offers more flexibility.
One of our favorite features is the ability to select multiple colors for different sections of the strip. This customization wasn’t possible with most other lights we’ve tried. Want one side of your TV blue and the other red? Easy. It’s great for themed parties or just to match your room’s decor.
For those with larger TVs, don’t worry. The Govee lights are suitable for televisions between 55” and 75”. This range covers most common TV sizes, though if you have a bigger screen, you might need to look elsewhere.
3. Power Practical USB Bias Lighting
- Best budget-friendly pick.
- True white 6500K LED for natural daylight feel.
- Includes remote control for easy adjustments; no mobile app.
- Ten brightness modes for varied lighting needs.
- Fifteen preset ambient colors for customization.
- Simple installation with strong 3M adhesive.
Looking for a budget-friendly option? The Power Practical USB Bias Lighting is a straightforward, effective solution for enhancing your TV or monitors backlight.
One of the key features we loved was its 6500K true white LED. This color temperature is perfect for creating a daylight-like environment. Compared to other LED bias lights we’ve tested, Power Practical’s white is the most consistent and true to daylight. This is great for daytime TV watching, giving a natural feel to the room.
The remote control, instead of a smartphone app, might seem old-school, but we found it surprisingly handy. Imagine this: your kid is watching TV in their room and wants to adjust the light. With the remote, it’s super easy and quick, no need for a phone. Plus, with 10 brightness modes and 15 ambient color options, customization is at your fingertips.
Attaching these lights is a breeze, thanks to the strong 3M adhesive. Whether it’s the back of your TV or a wall, they stick well. Just remember to clean the surface first for the best stick. This easy setup is a clear advantage over some other lights that can be trickier to install.
Performance-wise, the Power Practical lights shine bright and consistent. They offer a wide range of settings, from dim to bright, fitting various lighting needs. Just keep in mind, the remote needs a clear line of sight to work. So, make sure nothing blocks the control unit.
The Power Practical USB Bias Lighting impressed us with its true white light, variety of settings, and the convenience of a remote. It’s a solid budget-conscious choice, especially if you prefer a more traditional control method over a mobile app. While app control would be a nice addition, the simplicity and effectiveness of this lighting make it a great option for many users.
LED Bias Lighting FAQs
What is LED bias lighting?
- LED bias lighting refers to light strips placed behind a TV or computer monitor. These lights create a soft, ambient glow around the screen, reducing the contrast between the bright screen and the darker surrounding area. This can decrease eye strain, enhance perceived image quality, and add aesthetic appeal to your viewing setup.
How does it benefit my eyes?
- Bias lighting reduces strain by decreasing the contrast between your screen and the surrounding area. This lessens the workload on your eyes, especially in dark rooms, and can prevent headaches and fatigue caused by long periods of screen time.
Can LED bias lighting improve picture quality?
- While it doesn’t change the actual picture quality of your screen, bias lights can enhance perceived contrast and color depth. This optical illusion makes the colors appear more vivid and the blacks deeper, leading to a more immersive viewing experience.
Is LED bias lighting easy to install?
- Yes, most bias lighting kits are easy to install. They usually come with adhesive backings that stick directly to the back of your TV or monitor. Simply measure your screen, cut the strips to size (if necessary), and adhere them to the back edges.
Can I use it with any TV or monitor?
- LED bias lighting is versatile and can be used with almost any TV or computer monitor. The key is choosing the right length of LED strip to fit the size of your screen. Some kits are specifically designed for certain screen sizes, so it’s important to check compatibility.
Do LED bias lights consume a lot of power?
- They are energy-efficient and consume very little power. They are designed to be a low-impact addition to your entertainment setup. Many models are USB-powered, drawing minimal electricity, often directly from your TV or computer.
Meet Derek, “TechGuru,” a 34-year-old technology enthusiast with a deep passion for tech innovations. With extensive experience, he specializes in gaming hardware and software, and has expertise in gadgets, custom PCs, and audio.
Besides writing about tech and reviewing new products, Derek enjoys traveling, hiking, and photography. Committed to keeping up with the latest industry trends, he aims to guide readers in making informed tech decisions.