Investing in a dash camera is a smart idea if you’re always on the road. Whether you commute a lot, drive a long haul truck, or casually drive around town, many can agree that having a dash cam in your car can be a sensible upgrade. Having a visual recording can be a lifesaver when it comes to traffic accidents, parking accidents, and even insurance fraud. Many drivers have been interested in them since you never know when you’ll need footage of an incident.
The truth of the matter is, it can be a bit difficult to figure out which dash cameras are a worthwhile investment. In 2016, there are a few specific ones that are top rated and highly recommended. Below you’ll find a few dash cams that are a step above the rest with high end features, reliability, and impressive capabilities.
Magellan MiVue 638 & 658 Dash Cam
1080p High Definition with 2.7″ Touchscreen, Night Vision & WiFi
- With the capability of recording in full 1920 x 1080p high definition at 60 frames per second, you’ll never miss any details when you’re on the road with the Magellan MiVue 638 & 658 Dash Cam. Even when you’re parked or your vehicle is unattended, it’ll automatically save video files when it detects impact.
- With it’s beautifully bright 2.7 inch display, you can see the live view with a specific GPS location and time stamp for providing the authorities with exact coordinates of an accident or event. The screen has a massive 2304 x 1296 resolution so it always appears vibrant and rich in fine details.
- 150 degree field of view for capturing wide angle footage so important details are rarely out of the scene.
- With the MiVue Manager Software, you can browse all of the recorded footage and review it in detail. Available for free on both PC and your mobile iOS device, it gives you full flexibility to analyze an accident on the fly.
- Once the camera is installed on the top of your window, you can pivot and turn it to your exact needs if you happen to want to record on the left or right side rather than just in front.
- The 638 is the base model, and the 658 is the WiFi model. Although priced around $35 more, the WiFi version gives you the ability to upload and share images and videos to the web using the MiVue companion app.
- Records in Night Vision when there’s not enough light to make a proper video. It’ll automatically kick in when needed.
KDLINKS X1 Dashboard Camcorder
Full-HD 1920×1080, 165° Wide Angle, Night Vision, GPS
- The KDLINKS X1 Dash Cam provides drivers with a reliable way to constantly record in full high definition with GPS integration.
- Provides recordings that are beautiful in clarity since they’re at a 1920×1080 resolution at 30 frames per second. It automatically records a hands-free loop so you’ll always have a recording on-hand in case of any accidents or emergencies.
- Super slim, unobtrusive design that’s sleek and ready to use right out of the box. It has a 2.7 inch screen that provides a bright color display of the current view of the camera along with GPS data and route information on Google Maps.
- Precisely records the coordinates of the video recording so you have record of the exact location something happened. This information is saved into the video files so you can pull a wide range of statistics through the included KDLINKS Player Software.
- Using the integrated f1.6 Six-Glass lenses, the X1 is capable of recording at night time using night vision technology. In addition, the 165 degree wide angle lens provides a superb field of view to capture all the details in the scene.
- Comes included with a 12 month warranty that covers any and all unforeseen issues that may come up. However, the camera is built with quality in mind so it has plenty of reliability for years to come. They even give you a free 8 gigabyte memory card with the purchase of the camera.
- KDLINKS is known for their top-notch customer support by providing a 100% satisfaction guarantee and 24 hour reply email support that’s always available if you have any questions or comments.
Rexing V1 Dashboard Camera Recorder
1080p, 170° Wide Angle, 1G-Sensor, WDR, Night Vision, Motion Detection
- The Rexing V1 Dash Cam is another fine choice that’s built with a few impressive features, and priced just below $100.
- With full 1080p high definition, it records fantastic quality using H.264 compression technology to save as much space on your memory card as possible, while still maintaining the high definition that you need.
- 170 degree wide angle lens provides a massive view on the field of direction. They use a wide angle to make sure that every detail is captured so you can make the best understanding of what’s going on in a recording.
- Continuous loop recording that overwrites the older video files first to keep the newest files as a top priority.
- Discreet installation with the included 3M adhesive mount keeps the camera anywhere on the glass of the upper front windshield. When placed, you’ll be able to view the 2.7 inch screen to see exactly what’s in the field of view.
- Includes an “Accident Auto Detection” feature that locks the memory when an accident occurs. There’s an internal G-Sensor that has the capability of knowing when an accident takes place.
- View in full night vision so you can see in the dark.
- Comes included with an in-car charging cable, usb cable, mount, and user manual. You’ll need to purchase a Micro SD in addition so you have storage space for the continuous recording.
FalconZero F170HD+ GPS DashCam
1080P, 170° Viewing Angle, Night Vision, 32GB microSD Card Included
- The FalconZero F170HD+ GPS DashCam is another great option that begins recording automatically, every time your vehicle moves.
- The motion detection feature will record while you’re parked so you have a clear vision on what’s going on when you’re not around. It’s the perfect solution for fender benders or scuffs that can happen anytime in a busy parking lot.
- Super wide 170 degree recording angle gives plenty field of view on any view or subject it’s filming.
- Provides loop interval recording to automatically save over older files that are taking up space on the memory. In fact, FalconZero includes a free 32 gigabyte Class 10 SD Card with purchase of the dash cam.
- Full night vision recording with a f/2.0 six-glass lens that always has a clear vision. This lens works superbly for filming fast paced scenes that are likely to occur in any accident.
- Protected by an impressive 5 year warranty period that insures it’s functionality and reliability for several years to come. From an investment standpoint, this makes a lot of sense.
- FalconZero has unparalleled USA lifetime customer support that’s always available for questions, comments, or concerns.
- Integrated GPS to keep track of the coordinates of where an event may take place. When you select the file to view on the software, you can pull up the street location on Bing or Google Maps.
- Comes included with a windshielf mount, 11 foot power cable, cord management clips, data cable, software, and car charger. And of course there’s a detailed user manual that will immediately help get you familiar with the camera’s functionality.
Why Invest in a Dash Cam?
Although a dash cam might not seem like a necessity to some, it can be a lifesaver for others. The truth of the matter is, you really never know when an accident or occurrence may happen when you’re driving down the road, or parked at the supermarket. Many times, people think of investing in a dash cams when it’s a little too late. Don’t wish you had one, and do yourself a favor to make the right choice and equip your vehicle with one today.
We’ve outlined three different dash cams that all provide great features including high definition, night vision, wide angle recordings, and more. Each one is quite similar in quality and performance, but a great investment nonetheless.